“The Dead” is the final short story in the 1914 collection Dubliners by James Joyce. It is the longest story in the collection and is often considered the best of Joyce’s shorter works.
Dubliners by James Joyce – 15/16. The Dead, Part 1/2 (read by Tadhg)
Dubliners by James Joyce – 16/16. The Dead, Part 2/2 (read by Tadhg)
- Gabriel Conroy – The main character of the story.
- Kate Morkan and Julia Morkan – Gabriel’s aunts, elderly sisters who throw a party every year during Christmas time.
- Mary Jane Morkan – Niece of Kate and Julia Morkan.
- Lily – Maid, offended by Gabriel Conroy when he asks about her love life.
- Gretta Conroy – Gabriel’s wife.
- Molly Ivors – Colleague of Gabriel’s, very patriotic about Ireland.
- Mr. Browne – Only Protestant guest at the party.
- Freddy Malins – A drunk and friend of Gabriel.
- Bartell D’Arcy – A famous, retired, tenor.